Q & A
Shipping / Packaging
Eco-friendly packaging is important to us. So we send out packages with R3pack Cushioned paper courier bags. These cushioned paper courier bags are made from recycled and FSC certified paper. So when you are finished with the bag, it can be easily home composted or recycled.
We ship our products through Pass the Parcel. Which is a service provided by Post Haste Couriers. All of our orders come with tracking numbers so you know exactly where your purchase is at anytime.
How long will it take to ship?
Currently due to COVID-19, New Zealand shipping time can experience delays unexpectedly. The average time for NZ delivers is 3-4 business days. We appreciate your patience during this time. Please check your tracking number for most current information.
What happens if my order is damaged?
Please let us know as soon as possible (with a photo), and we will replace the damaged item immediately. If you would prefer a refund, just let us know and we will sort that for you.
Where are our books printed?
All our books are printed and bound in Auckland, New Zealand by Cube.
Do you have an Ebook?
Yes we do, currently available on Google play books available here
What was your process for making the book?
I’ve been working as a graphic designer for the past 5 years, and illustrating since forever, doing the artwork was the most straightforward aspect to me. Marketing, distribution and company management was new to me. I’ve learnt a lot and I’m a big believer in sharing expertise and helping people starting out on the same path so we can succeed together!
If you are interested - here’s how my process went for Pukeko’s Present!
- I was inspired by Stephs own journey creating a children's books
- Drew a pukeko
- Had a plot idea -’Pukeko finds gift for Kiwi’s birthday’
- Drew a character sheet of hero
- Roughly made a storyboard with the plot
- Stephanie rewrote the plot rhyming, and adding her flare
- Chose the size & page number of my book
- Did a first draft of artwork
- Put first draft of story into indesign to create layout & typography
- Started social media presence to build hype (Posted ⅘ times a week from then on)
- Revised story & artwork
- Picked a charity to support (Tiritiri Matangi)
- Emailed chairperson and got approval
- Requested quotes & worked out costings
- (production cost, online store cost, shipping cost, Brand establishment costs, Barcode cost)
- Decided on a publishing company name / imprint name
- Checked name wasn’t pre existing/unique on onecheck
- Purchased domain & made website
- Registered As a sole trader business and got a NZBN
- Embroidered some hats
- Purchased a barcode
- Proofed design and book copy
- Finalised artwork & sent to printer
- Got a printed proof from printer (Cube)
- Sent back changes
- Organised packaging (r3pack), shipping(Pass the parcel) and label printer(from r3pack)
- Announced first copy give away and launch date on social media
- Approved printing of 200 copies
- Opened pre-orders for a week
- Adjusted design for ebook format, and uploaded to google play books (takes 12 days to approve)
- Designed labels, paid for shipping, signed labels, stuck labels on to packaging to be ready
- Received books and Packed into packaging
- Dropped off pre-orders to post office
From now on we’ll be packaging orders when they come in on an individual basis and having the courier come pick them up!
In the future we want to:
- Approach publishing companies, booksellers, shops, libraries and schools.
- Design supporting merch (Sticker, Hats!)
- Work with a Maori writer to create a Te Reo version
- Book a table a market
- Start brainstorming the next book!
- & much more!
I will keep updating this page and I am happy to talk about this process!